Friday, February 25, 2011

The State of Kansas Arts.........

I am astounded by the conversations of cutting arts funding in kansas.
i am a urban high school art teacher. i can safely say many of my students come to school solely for art class. i have watched many a student pass through my classroom showing their creative potential to me... other teachers may not see or be aware of. I have seen students with behavioral problems and various learning disabilities shine when given the opportunity to draw, paint, design and sculpt. I have taken students, who have been written off by society, to museums and galleries only to see their intelligence through observation and critique of the masters and contemporary artists. Human beings need culture and expression. It is the basis of all civilizations. Why is it being taken away from our young people?
http://www.ksn.com/news/local/story/Art-lovers-angry-over-proposed-budget-cuts/YxE7qhePqk-sacJFBbadxQ.cspx

No comments:

Post a Comment